- Beginning Thursday the 4th and running through the weekend, Smart Gals celebrates ten years of smart cultural events with a “Reading Preserve” exhibit at the Barnsdall Municipal Art Gallery–culminating in a Winter Picnic Performance Sun 2/7 2pm.
- For another Superbowl Sunday alternative, check out my friend Doug Knott’s one-man show “Oil Fire” (burn, baby burn) at Highways (an alternative performance in Santa Monica, at the 18th Street Arts Center, 1651 18th Street) Sun 2/7 7pm; Doug shares the billing with Alexa Hunter.
- At Skylight Books in Los Feliz: Thurs 2/4 7:30pm, Joshua Ferris with The Unnamed; and Tues 2/16 7:30pm, local author Heidi Durrow, The Girl Who Fell From the Sky.
- Book Soup in West Hollywood has: Wed 2/3 7pm, long-time New Yorker cartoonist Bruce Eric Kaplan with his new collection, I Love You, I Hate You, I’m Hungry; and Thurs 2/4 7pm, if you hadn’t heard of Up in the Air until it was made into a movie, here’s your chance to check out the original with Walter Kirn.
- The New Short Fiction Series offers up some Valentine’s flavor on Sun 2/14 7pm with “The Name of Longing” and other stories by Shubha Venugopal; at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery, Barnsdall Park, 4800 Hollywood Blvd.
- Diesel Books in Brentwood hosts a book release party for Dani Shapiro’s new book Devotion, Sat 2/20 6 pm.
- Word Theatre presents, Sun 2/21 3pm, a program of stories by T.C. Boyle (from his new collection Wild Child), including one read by the man himself.