- The New Short Fiction Series kicks off the new decade by switching to a new time and new venue: the show now takes place the second Sunday of the month, at the LA Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Art Park (4800 Hollywood Blvd). The show is still at 7pm, doors at 6:30. The price is $15 at the door, $10 online in advance. Up this month, Sun 1/10: Andrea Lisa Leeb, with Painted Bicycles & Other Stories.
- Sun 1/10 8pm, the irreverent Chinatown series Vermin on the Mount presents Vanina Marsot, Porochista Khakpour, Goodloe Byron & Vicki Forman
- At Skylight Books in Los Feliz: Tues 1/19 7:30pm, highly-regarded graphic novel artist Joe Sacco with his latest, Footnotes in Gaza; Thurs 1/28 7:30pm, Audrey Niffenegger with Her Fearful Symmetry, her follow-up to The Time Traveler’s Wife; Sat 1/30 5pm, rock legend Patti Smith with her first book of prose, Just Kids, which recounts her fascinating relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe.
- At West Hollywood’s Book Soup: Tues 1/5 7pm, Rani Singh’s new book about famed ethnomusicalogist Harry Smith (live music as well); Sat 1/23 7pm, David Lynch: Interviews, with Richard A. Barney; Tues 1/27 7pm, memoirist and poet Nick Flynn with his latest, The Ticking is the Bomb, in which he interweaves memoir with his efforts to meet and interview the Iraqi men depicted in the infamous Abu Ghraib photos–Aimee Bender calls it a “gleaming, brutal, beautiful” book.
- Stories Bookstore/Cafe in Echo Park lauches a new reading series, “Homo-centric,” Thurs 1/14 7:30; their website is not always current so become a fan on Facebook or sign up for their newsletter