- I attended a good reading the other night at Skylight Books, featuring selections from Dzanc’s new Best of the Web 2009 anthology. There are selections from some of the more established online journals like failbetter and Juked, print journals like AGNI with online companions–and still others like Toasted Cheese and Hot Metal Bridge that are new to me. Dzanc is fast becoming a force in independent publishing–under their own imprint, as well Other Voices, Black Lawrence, Monkeybicycle, and their new online mag The Collagist.
- One of the featured readers was Lou Mathews, whose nominated story “Huevos” was published last year in failbetter. It’s also a Halloween story, which makes it timely–though not for the faint of heart, and not one to read to the kids.
- Great review (and well-deserved) in the LA Times the other day of Dylan Landis’ new collection Normal People Don’t Live Like This.
Finally, a few late additions to my October Literary LA Calendar:
- At Stories Bookstore/Cafe in Echo Park: Sat Oct 24 7-10, spooky stories, spooky sounds, pumpkin-carving, fortune-telling & more; Tues Oct 27 3pm, indie music faves Tegan & Sara will meet fan and sign merchandise
- Sun Oct 25 6pm, Tongue & Groove at the Hotel Cafe presents “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” with Rachel Resnick and Seth Greenland among others
- Finally, Sun Oct 25 3pm, Tod Goldberg has the official release party for his new collection, Other Resort Cities at Borders in Westwood