I haven’t posted one of these in over a year and will try to be better about that. Some interesting theme issues with deadlines coming up soon, and one contest of note:
- Tin House has three themed issues coming up, two with April 1 deadlines: ‘The Ecstatic’ will be their Fall 2011 issue, and ‘Beauty’ their Winter 2011 issue; and for their Spring 2012 issue (deadline Oct 1), ‘Weird Science’–click the link for more details.
- Make, a very interesting magazine out of Chicago, has a ‘Neither/Nor’ theme (the website doesn’t expand on this, so just go ahead and have fun with it), deadline April 15.
- Ecotone (a relatively new journal getting a lot of notice) has a ‘Happiness’ theme issue, deadline April 15.
- Also with a deadline of April 15, Harpur Palate has a theme called ‘Underground.’
- And, finally, a contest I didn’t see listed in Poets & Writers (usually the best way to stay on top of contests). BOMB is a terrific magazine built around interviews between artists from different fields. Their literary supplement, First Proof, publishes consistently challenging stuff–tending toward the experimental, but still accessible. They’re running a fiction contest judged by Rivka Galchen (Atmospheric Disturbances), deadline April 16.